- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
- 4 cups diced peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add apple and the next 5 ingredients (apple through salt), and cook 12 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed. Remove from heat.
Place cottage cheese in a food processor, and process until smooth (about 2 minutes). Add mascarpone, granulated sugar, and vanilla, and process until smooth. Spoon 2 tablespoons cheese mixture into each of 6 parfait glasses, and top each with 2 tablespoons apple mixture. Repeat procedure with 3 tablespoons cheese mixture and 2 tablespoons apple mixture, ending with 3 tablespoons cheese mixture. Cover and chill at least 4 hours.