- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 300g lean rump steak, sliced into very thin strips
- 1 litre beef stock, made with stock cubes
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 150g shiitake mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 200g baby pak choi, leaves halved
- 200-250g instant fine egg noodles
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Combine the soy sauce, sesame oil and Chinese rice wine or sherry in a bowl. Add the strips of beef and toss until well mixed. Leave to marinate until needed.
- Heat the stock in a large pan or flame-proof casserole. Add the spring onions, sliced mushrooms and halved pak choi, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the nests of noodles to the pan of vegetables and cook for 2-4 minutes or until tender.
- While the noodles are cooking, heat a wok or frying pan with the oil and stir-fry the beef for 2 minutes or until browned. Tip the contents of the pan into the simmering stock. Bring back to the boil. Taste and season with black pepper, then ladle into four serving bowls and serve.