- 75g butter
- 5 tablespoons plain flour
- 1L skimmed milk
- 6 large baking potatoes, scrubbed
- 250ml soured cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Microwave potatoes until done.
- While potatoes are cooking make a roux over low to medium heat. Mix butter and flour. DO NOT BURN THE ROUX. When roux is thickened a bit, gradually blend in milk. Continue cooking over low to medium heat while preparing potatoes.
- Peel and cut up potatoes. You may want to mash some of the potatoes also. Add potatoes to the milk mixture. Blend in soured cream. Season to taste. Soup is ready to be served.
You can top this easy potato soup with chopped spring onions, chopped fresh herbs like chives or parsley, chopped bacon or pancetta, crumbled Stilton - the possibilities are endless! Of course, it's perfect on its own!